Monday, February 2, 2009

Does Anyone Know How You Really Feel?


The answer is YES! People who have OCD well know the frustration, despair, anxiety, panic, shortness of breath, heart palpitations - the complete discomfort that OCD causes. Not to mention the embarrassment of having to perform seemingly ridiculous rituals. I used to be, and at times still am, embarrassed that I have OCD. For many years I would do anything to hide it. I felt alone and isolated even in a room filled with people. I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I didn’t know there were so many other smart, sensitive people who were suffering also. If you are alone and suffering, please know that there are millions of others who feel as you do.

I admire each and every person who has to function, to get through the day when they are experiencing an OCD attack. It ZAPS you, drains you, leaves you exhausted and depleted. I don’t think that most people have any idea of what it is like to live this way. An OCD attack can leave someone mentally fatigued and physically weak. It can take all of a person’s energy to reach deep inside themselves just to appear to function normally.

If you or someone you know is suffering with OCD, it’s important to know that there is comfort in just understanding. You are NOT insane or alone. Your torture lies in biochemistry, as did mine. There are many ways to change biochemistry, as I have discovered. You don’t have to live this way. There is HOPE!


No comments: